Thursday, August 24, 2006

FROM THE SHADOWS
Remember - this was supposed to be around 5 minutes long (although it's a bit longer). It wasn't short by accident.

Questions* after the performance:

Reuben Tapioca: Any questions for the actors/ director?

Lordfly Digeridoo: how long did it take to make the sets?
Os answering later: I built the second set first, in about an hour and a half, then made set 1 a few days later. Details like the furnishings were added as we went along. The play is inspired by a painting I did ages ago, with Enjah Mysterio writing an original script that we tweaked and changed as needed.

Zenigma Suntzu: How much of the gestures were centrally synced, and how much were under the control of actors?
Os: everything was actor-controlled - my actors are teh ge-ni-oids

Reuben Tapioca: Roughly where in RL were all the actors?
Lucifer Baphomet: in front of our PCs
Os answering later: Chicks in the USA - I'm in Washington State, Eileen is in Texas, Ida is in Alabama -- and Luc is in - Scotland. I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong - I don't do meatspace.

Troy McLuhan: I read something about a HUD. What is it for?
Os answering later: The HUDs give the lines in the character's name, and with greater ease for the actors. Actually I've never seen them, so I can only descibe how it looks to the audience.

Vlad
: The HUDs were implemented as a way to free up the characters to use their emotes, anims, and movements. No more 'typing' anims while acting! They also allowed for the lines to be delivered in character, instead of by the Av playing the character.

I have plans on making them a bit more complex - giving the director and writer more freedom to easily change the actors lines while rehearsing. I'm also adding some features to allow for an audience to 'hear' what is said more than 20 meters away from the stage.

Myrrh Massiel: ...have you considered synching to an audio performance, prerecorded and streamed?..
Os: in time - yes (well I didn't really read the question - so no, actually - that's too dead for me)
We have big plans to do the video with the recorded voices of the cast

Myrrh Massiel: ...i guess the greatest challenge with recording your own audio with a remote cast is production consistency...
Os: hey - if you want perfection this may not be the right place :D

*which blew by me in a frenzy of chat at the time (plus nine IM windows and multiple picture that popped onto my screen from somewhere

4 Comments:

Blogger Don Whitaker said...

The HUDs were implemented as a way to free up the characters to use their emotes, anims, and movements. No more 'typing' anims while acting! They also allowed for the lines to be delivered in character, instead of by the Av playing the character.

I have plans on making them a bit more complex - giving the director and writer more freedom to easily change the actors lines while rehearsing. I'm also adding some features to allow for an audience to 'hear' what is said more than 20 meters away from the stage.

Great job everyone! The audience loved the play - so much so that they forced the actors to perform it 3 times in a row! :D

/clap

24 August, 2006 22:12  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The HUD looks like a white circle with the name of the character and the act on it, and the upcoming line over that. I love the HUDs!
Eileen McTeague

25 August, 2006 07:32  
Blogger Thea said...

this was a great event, hope to cover it more in depth once i get to interview the full cast + producer + director. :)

27 August, 2006 18:49  
Anonymous About Health Blog said...

The play is inspired by a painting I did ages ago, with Enjah Mysterio writing an original script that we tweaked and changed as needed.

25 March, 2011 06:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home